The page uses Browser Access Keys to help with keyboard navigation. Click to learn moreSkip to Navigation

Different browsers use different keystrokes to activate accesskey shortcuts. Please reference the following list to use access keys on your system.

Alt and the accesskey, for Internet Explorer on Windows
Shift and Alt and the accesskey, for Firefox on Windows
Shift and Esc and the accesskey, for Windows or Mac
Ctrl and the accesskey, for the following browsers on a Mac: Internet Explorer 5.2, Safari 1.2, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 6+.

We use the following access keys on our gateway

n Skip to Navigation
k Accesskeys description
h Help
Skip to main content
2013-2014 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Grand Valley State University
  Feb 17, 2018
2013-2014 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Graduate Information

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Graduate Academic Policies and Regulations

Refer to the general and graduate sections of the Academic Policies and Regulations for graduate policies and regulations.


At the graduate level, students are advised by faculty members and professional advisors within their program of study. Students should contact the graduate program director or the academic departmental office to identify the name of their advisor and arrange for an initial advising session. A complete list of graduate degree programs and academic departments is listed by college in the Office of Graduate Studies  section of this catalog.

Academic advising for graduate students is highly individualized for each student as he/she works with an advisor to select an emphasis within a degree program, develop an educational plan, register for and complete courses, and where required, develop a research proposal, conduct the research, and write a research report. Those students selecting to complete a thesis, dissertation, or a research project work very closely with the faculty advisor and other appropriate faculty members.

Please note that some programs require a faculty advisor to agree to work with a student in a research area, before he/or she can be admitted to the degree program. To learn more about academic advising for graduate students, please contact the support services noted below.

Graduate Student Support Services
Office of Graduate Studies: (616) 331-7105,
Currently enrolled graduate students or persons interested in graduate studies at Grand Valley State University are welcome to visit with the graduate dean for assistance, advice, or to provide feedback on any aspect of their graduate education.

Fred Meijer Center for Writing and Michigan Authors: (616) 331-2922, (616) 331-6407,
With locations on the Allendale Campus, Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus, and Meijer Campus in Holland, the Fred Meijer Center for Writing and Michigan Authors assists all writers at any stage of their writing processes.

Student Assistance Center: (616) 331-3327
Student Assistance Centers are located in the Student Services building on the Allendale Campus and in the DeVos Center Plaza on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus and provide services for registering for classes, tuition payments, Grand Valley ID cards, transcripts and degree progress reports, applications for graduation, processing loan deferments, check-cashing, and distributing student payroll checks.

Academic Programs

Grand Valley State University has more than 200 areas of study, 82 undergraduate degrees, and 31 graduate degrees. Use the links below to find the program(s) that apply to you!

Graduate Programs

Accounting, M.S.A.  

Allied Health Sciences
Clinical Research Trials Management Certificate  

Biology, M.S.  

Biomedical Sciences
Biomedical Sciences, M.H.S.  

Biostatistics, M.S.  

Business, M.B.A. 
Business Administration and Law, M.B.A/J.D.  
Business, Traditional M.B.A.
Business, Full-time Integrated M.B.A.

Cell and Molecular Biology
Cell and Molecular Biology, M.S.  

Communication, M.S.  

Computer Information Systems
Computer Information Systems, M.S. 
    Biomedical Informatics Certificate
    Database Management Certificate
    Distributed Computing Certificate
    Information Systems Management Certificate
    Object-oriented Technology Certificate
    Software Design and Development Certificate
Software Engineering Certificate

Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice, M.S.  

Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
   Educational Leadership 
   Special Education Administration  

Educational Specialist in Leadership, Ed.S.
Educational Technology, M.Ed.
Higher Education, M.Ed.
   Adult and Higher Education 
   College Student Affairs Leadership  
Instruction and Curriculum, M.Ed.
   Advanced Content Specialization  
   Early Childhood Education 
   Educational Differentiation 
   Elementary Education   
   Secondary Level Education  

Literacy Studies, M.Ed.
   Reading and Language Arts 
   Teach Eng Speakers Other Languages (TESOL)  

School Counseling, M.Ed.
   School Counseling  
Special Education, M.Ed.
   Cognitive Impairment 
   Early Childhood Development Delay 
   Emotional Impairment 
   Learning Disabilities 

Graduate Programs in Education 
Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification 
Graduate Teacher Certification Program (GTC) 
Professional Certification-Program Description  

Engineering, M.S.E. 
Combined Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Engineering 
Biomedical Engineering 
    Electrical and Computing Engineering
    Manufacturing Operations
    Mechanical Engineering
    Product Design and Manufacturing Engineering
    Management Certificate

English, M.A.  

Health Administration
Health Administration, M.H.A.  

Medical and Bioinformatics
Medical and Bioinformatics, M.S.  

Nursing, M.S.N. 
Nursing, D.N.P.  

Occupational Therapy
Occupational Therapy, M.S.  

Physical Therapy
Physical Therapy, D.P.T.  

Physician Assistant Studies
Physician Assistant Studies, M.P.A.S.  

Professional Science Masters
Biostatistics, M.S. 
Cell and Molecular Biology, M.S. 
Medical and Bioinformatics, M.S.  

Public and Nonprofit Administration
Public Administration, M.P.A. 
    Nonprofit Leadership Certificate
    Sustainability in Public and Nonprofit Organizations Certificate

Public Health
Public Health, M.P.H.  

Social Work
Social Work, M.S.W. 
School Social Work Certification  

Speech-Language Pathology
Speech-language Pathology, M.S.  

Taxation, M.S.T. 
Taxation and Law, M.S.T/J.D. 
Graduate Tax Studies Certificate