Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
Skip to main content
Grand Valley State University    
2017-2018 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog 
  Sep 19, 2019
2017-2018 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Graduate Information

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Graduate Academic Policies and Regulations

Refer to the general and graduate sections of the Academic Policies and Regulations for graduate policies and regulations.


At the graduate level, students are advised by faculty members and professional advisors within their program of study. Students should contact the graduate program director or the academic departmental office to identify the name of their advisor and arrange for an initial advising session. A complete list of graduate degree programs and academic departments is listed by college in The Graduate School  section of this catalog.

Academic advising for graduate students is highly individualized for each student as he/she works with an advisor to select an emphasis within a degree program, develop an educational plan, register for and complete courses, and where required, develop a research proposal, conduct the research, and write a research report. Those students selecting to complete a thesis, dissertation, or a research project work very closely with the faculty advisor and other appropriate faculty members.

Please note that some programs require a faculty advisor to agree to work with a student in a research area before the student can be admitted to the degree program. To learn more about academic advising for graduate students, please contact the support services noted as follows.

Graduate Student Support Services

Fred Meijer Center for Writing and Michigan Authors: (616) 331-2922, (616) 331-6407,
With locations on the Allendale Campus, Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus, and Meijer Campus in Holland, the Fred Meijer Center for Writing and Michigan Authors assists all writers at any stage of their writing processes.

Student Assistance Center: (616) 331-3327
Student Assistance Centers are located in the Student Services Building on the Allendale Campus and in the DeVos Center Plaza on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus. The centers provide services for registering for classes, tuition payments, Grand Valley ID cards, transcripts and degree progress reports, applications for graduation, processing loan deferments, check cashing, and distributing student payroll checks.

The Graduate School: (616) 331-7105,
Currently enrolled graduate students or persons interested in graduate studies at Grand Valley State University are welcome to visit with the dean of The Graduate School for assistance, advice, or to provide feedback on any aspect of their graduate education.

Academic Programs

Grand Valley State University has more than 300 areas of study, 88 undergraduate degrees, and 37 graduate degrees. Use the following links to find the program(s) that apply to you!

Graduate Programs

Accounting, M.S.A.  
Combined B.B.A./M.S.A.

Allied Health Sciences
Clinical Research Trials Management Certificate  

Applied Behavior Analysis​
Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate   

Applied Linguistics


Biology, M.S.  
    Aquatic Sciences
    Natural Resources

Biomedical Sciences
Biomedical Sciences, M.H.S.  

Biostatistics, M.S.  

Business Administration

    Health Sector Management
    International Business
    Sustainable Enterprise
    Technology and Innovation Management

Cell and Molecular Biology
Cell and Molecular Biology, M.S.  
Combined B.S./M.S.

Clinical Dietetics
Clinical Dietetics, M.S.   

Communications, M.S.  

Computer Information Systems
Computer Information Systems, M.S. 
    Biomedical Informatics 
    Database Management
    Distributed Computing
    Information Systems Management
    Software Design and Development 
    Software Engineering 
    Web and Mobile Computing

Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice, M.S.  

Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
   Educational Leadership 
   Special Education Administration  
Leadership, Ed.S.
Educational Technology, M.Ed.
Higher Education, M.Ed.
   Adult and Higher Education 
   College Student Affairs Leadership  
Instruction and Curriculum, M.Ed.
   Advanced Content Specialization -Science
   Early Childhood Education 
   Educational Differentiation 
   Elementary Education   
   Secondary Level Education  
Literacy Studies, M.Ed.
   Reading and Language Arts 
   Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)   
School Counseling , M.Ed. 
Special Education, M.Ed.
   Cognitive Impairment 
   Emotional Impairment 
   Learning Disabilities 
Online/Blended Instruction and Assessment Certificate  
Postbaccalaureate Teacher Certification 
Graduate Teacher Certification Program (GTC) 
Professional Certification  

Engineering, M.S.E. 
Combined B.S.E./M.S.E.
    Biomedical Engineering    
    Electrical and Computing Engineering
    Manufacturing Operations
    Mechanical Engineering
    Product Design and Manufacturing Engineering

English, M.A.  

Health Administration
Health Administration, M.H.A.  

Medical and Bioinformatics
Medical and Bioinformatics, M.S.   

Medical Dosimetry
Medical Dosimetry, M.S.  

Nursing, M.S.N. 
    Advanced Generalist
Nursing, D.N.P.  
     Advanced Practice: Adult/Older Adult
     Advanced Practice: Child/Adolescent 
     Health Systems Leadership
Palliative and Hospice Care Certificate   

Occupational Therapy
Occupational Therapy, M.S.  

Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership
Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership, M.P.N.L.   
     Community Impact
     Mission Advancement
     Nonprofit Healthcare
Nonprofit Leadership Certificate  

Physical Therapy
Physical Therapy, D.P.T.  

Physician Assistant Studies
Physician Assistant Studies, M.P.A.S.  

Professional Science Masters
Biostatistics, M.S. 
Cell and Molecular Biology, M.S. 
Medical and Bioinformatics, M.S.  

Public Administration
Public Administration, M.P.A.  
    Criminal Justice
    Health Administration
    Nonprofit Management and Leadership
    Public Management
    Sustainable Community Development
    Urban and Regional Policy and Planning

Public Health
Public Health, M.P.H.  
    Health Promotion
    Public Health Administration

School Psychology
School Psychology, M.S   
Psychology Specialist, Psy.S.   

Social Work
Social Work, M.S.W. 
School Social Work Certification  

Speech-Language Pathology
Speech-Language Pathology, M.S.   

Taxation, M.S.T.