Jun 18, 2018
The Kirkhof College of Nursing offers a B.S.N. for persons with a baccalaureate degree in another discipline. This option is designed for part-time or full-time study. The required plan of study can be shortened by transfer of credits from Prerequisite courses.
To be considered for the Program, students must be admitted to Grand Valley and prenursing must be declared as a major prior to application.
- Students must have successfully completed (with a grade of C or better) all prerequisite coursework by the end of the term in which they are applying and none of the prerequisite courses may be repeated more than once.
- After completing their application, students must meet with their academic advisor by November 1, 2011 for Spring/Summer entry (Accelerated or ASD Programs), March 1, 2012 for Fall 2012 entry, and by August 31, 2012 for Winter 2013 entry. The meeting will verify that they have completed their preclinical coursework and meet the minimum requirements. After this meeting and on the same day, the student must submit the completed application and Verification of Preclinical Coursework (VOPC) to 300 CHS.
- Admission to the program is highly competitive. Students who only meet minimum requirements, such as a 2.8 admission GPA or average grades in the science courses, may not be competitive.
Evidence of the following is required before the student begins NUR 315:
- Health and immunization reports.
- Certification in and American Heart Association course in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for health professionals.
- Transportation for clinical experiences.
- Criminal Background check, fingerprinting, and drug screen.
Prerequisite Admission Courses:
- BIO 355 - Human Genetics Credits: 3
- BMS 252 - Anatomy and Physiology I Credits: 4
- BMS 253 - Anatomy and Physiology II Credits: 4
- BMS 212 - Introductory Microbiology Credits: 3
- CHM 230 - Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry Credits: 5
- PSY 364 - Life Span Developmental Psychology Credits: 3
Note: In order to progress in the nursing program, a minimum grade of C (2.0) is required in the following (1) Prerequisite, (2) corequisite, and Nursing courses:
- BMS 305 - Clinical Nutrition Credits:3
- BMS 310 - Basic Pathophysiology Credits: 3
- BMS 311 - Pharmacological Aspects of Biomedical Sciences Credits:3
- NUR 265 - Introduction to Research & Evidence Based Practice Credits: 3
- NUR 266 - Professional Nursing Credits: 3
- NUR 267 - Clinical Nursing I Credits: 5
- NUR 316 - Professional Nursing II Credits: 4
- NUR 317 - Clinical Nursing II Credits: 4
- NUR 366 - Professional Nursing III Credits: 4
- NUR 367 - Clinical Nursing III Credits: 5
- NUR 416 - Professional Nursing IV Credits: 4
- NUR 417 - Clinical Nursing IV Credits: 6
- NUR 467 - Professional Nursing V (Capstone) Credits: 10
- STA 215 - Introductory Applied Statistics Credits: 3