Dec 18, 2017
Candidates for Michigan Professional Certification must fulfill the following requirements:
- Hold a Michigan Provisional Certificate.
- Teach successfully for three years after the issuance of the provisional certificate and according to its validity.
- Show evidence of coursework in reading methods: six semester credits for elementary, three for secondary. (In Michigan, if provisional certificate was issued after 1983, requirement is met in the initial provisional program).
- Complete an approved state required course (reading diagnostic) in the diagnosis and remediation of reading disabilities and differentiated instruction, including field experiences, as part of the Professional Certificate requirement.
- Complete requirements from the professional development/coursework requirement options. Candidates should contact the College of Education Certification Administrator or visit the College of Education Certification website: www.gvsu.edu/coe/professional for requirements.
If necessary, the Provisional Certificate may be renewed for a three-year period. Additional information is available at the College of Education website: www.gvsu.edu/coe/renewals.
Renewal of Professional Certificate
The Michigan Professional Certificate (earned after June 30, 1992) must be renewed every five years upon the applicants completion of at least one of the following:
- Six semester credit hours in a planned program at an approved teacher preparation institution (EPI) or six semester hours of academic credit appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement(s) of the certificate at any approved college or university OR
- 150 clock hours of state continuing education clock hours (SCECHs) in appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement(s) of the certificate OR
- Annual district provided professional development completed through professional development programs that are appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement(s) of the certificate OR
- A combination of semester credit hours, state continuing education clock hours (25 clock hours of state continuing education are equivalent to one semester credit hour), or district provided annual professional development (25 clock hours of annual district provided professional development are equivalent to one semester credit hour) that equal 6 semester credit hours. Courses used for renewal of the Professional Certificate need not be in a planned program but must be taken at an approved education institution and must be taken within the five-year period of application.
Students applying for professional certificate renewal, must have a MEIS account and initiate the application process by self-registering online in the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS). For instructions on how to create your MEIS account and apply for your renewal, go to www.michigan.gov/moecs/.
Applying for Certification and Endorsements
Candidates should apply for certificate and/or endorsement(s) at the beginning of the semester in which they expect to complete all requirements. They should also be certain that they have an approved planned program, have met all university requirements, and have transcripts and other documentation on file in the Records Office. Upon completion of program requirements, candidates must have a MEIS account and initiate the certification recommendation by self-registering online through the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS). For instructions on how to create a MEIS account and apply for additional endorsements or licensure, go to www.michigan.gov/moecs/.
Planned Program Options for Professional Certification
It is recommended, for candidates who select credit hours for professional development, meet with an advisor in the College of Education to select appropriate course(s).
Option 1. Master's Degree
Earning a master’s degree from an approved teacher education institution, with quality graduate education programs, will enhance teacher skills at various levels. It is recommended you meet with an appropriate College of Education advisor to select a planned program that meets your needs.
Option 2. Additional Major or Minor
The applicant may earn additional endorsements consisting of at least 20 hours within the College of Education or with approved subject area majors or minors: http://www.gvsu.edu/clasadvising/. For graduate endorsements, program advisors must approve all additional endorsements. Applicants adding additional subject area endorsements and endorsements at the graduate level must also pass Michigan Subject Area tests (MTTC).
Option 3. Additional Certificate Level
This option is available for candidates who wish to become certified at a level other than that of their original certificate. (An example: a secondary teacher who wants to become elementary certified). Candidates may select from:
a. Early Childhood Endorsement.
b. Elementary Endorsement.
c. Secondary Endorsement.
Option 4. Professional Development
Candidates selecting credit hours for their professional certificate may select one of the above options in an approved planned program with a College of Education advisor or choose courses in subject matter related to the applicant’s teaching grade level and content endorsement.
All candidates for provisional or professional certification must show evidence of coursework in reading methods, six credits for elementary, three for secondary. If a Michigan Provisional Certificate was granted after July 1983 from a Michigan accredited teacher preparation institution, the candidate has fulfilled the reading requirement. It is recommended that students have their College of Education advisor establish these courses when planning their official program of study if they have not yet met the requirement within their initial teacher preparation program.
In addition, effective July 1, 2009, an approved (reading diagnostic) course in the diagnosis and remediation of reading disabilities and differentiated instruction, including field experiences, is required before obtaining the Professional Certificate. To view approved reading courses visit www.gvsu.edu/coe/grad/reading-requirement-for-professional-certification-27.htm
Please note: All certification requirements are subject to change by the Michigan Department of Education.