Jun 18, 2018
The physical education K-12 professional instruction program is designed to prepare physical education professionals to promote quality physical education, lifelong skills and developmentally appropriate activities. As such, the faculty prepare future physical educators in a course of study that reflects a commitment to the National Association for Sport and Physical Education Standards.
Requirements for a Major in Physical Education
Two emphasis areas are available for majors in physical education. Students seeking a major in physical education must select either the K-12 professional instruction or sport leadership emphasis. Students majoring in physical education K-12 professional instruction may obtain Michigan certification to teach physical education K-12. In addition, those seeking teacher certification must complete a teachable minor and a 39-credit professional education program from the College of Education (see the GVSU College of Education website for more information). Secondary admission to the College of Education requires at least a 2.7 GPA overall and in the major.
Requirements for K-12 Professional Instruction Emphasis
1. University Degree Requirements
Students in the physical education professional program must follow all general education requirements as defined by the Grand Valley State University Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog.
2. B.S. Degree Requirements: Physical Education Major (credits: 10)
The following B.S. degree requirements must be completed for the major in physical education.
3. K-12 Professional Instruction Foundational Courses (credits: 19)
4. Fitness, Skill, and Activity Courses (credits: 5)
Selected from FIT 100 through 179, one of which must be swimming. FIT 180 courses may be selected and substituted for this requirement. PED 214 and/or PED 215 may be substituted for the 100-180 level swimming requirement.
5. Professional Instruction Emphasis Courses (credits: 24)
Physical Education majors selecting the K-12 professional instruction emphasis must meet all requirements of the College of Education if they intend to pursue teacher certification. The K-12 emphasis may also be taken by students who do not intend to enter the College of Education. Students must take the following courses in addition to the core curriculum, B.S. degree requirements, and skills development activity courses:
Requirements for Sport Leadership Emphasis
1. General University Degree Requirements
Students will complete the general university degree requirements as identified in the General Academic Policies section of the Grand Valley State University Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog.
Note: ECO 211 - Introductory Microeconomics Credits: 3 is suggested to fulfill a Social and Behavioral Sciences Foundations requirement.
2. Sport Leadership Emphasis Requirements (credits: 50 to 56)
3. B.S. Degree Requirements (credits: 10)
4. Sport Leadership Electives (credits: 9)
Elect three of the following sport leadership elective courses.
Suggested Order of Coursework for a Major in Physical Education
Courses in the major and minor should be taken according to numerical sequence within the core curriculum, degree requirements, and emphasis areas. Attention should be paid to prerequisite requirements. Courses progressions are designed so higher numbered material mastered in a lower numbered course is available to be expanded upon or applied during subsequent courses.
Course schedules are planned to expedite taking coursework in the recommended sequence.
- 100-level courses should be taken during the freshman year
- 200-level courses should be taken during the sophomore year
- 300-level courses should be taken during the junior year
- 400-level courses should be taken during the junior and senior years
For the Core and Cognates
For K-12 Professional Instruction Emphasis
For Sport Leadership Emphasis
Attention should be paid to prerequisite/corequisite requirements.
- MOV 202 and PED 225 must be completed before PED 356
- MTH 110 must be completed before STA 215
- STA 215 must be completed before COM 375 or MKT 352
- MOV 102 and PED 356 must be completed before PED 460
- PED 460 must completed before PED 490
- PED 490 and PED 495 are to be taken concurrently during the final semester